Previous to Installation
Open the welcome e-mail you received when you purchased Narrative1. This email contains your user credentials, as well as a link to download the Narrative1 installer. You will need to refer to this email as you proceed through the installation process.
The installation process takes ~5 minutes and will include the following steps:
1. Set up Office
There are a few pre-installation steps to help your experience proceed more smoothly.
Enabling macros in Excel
- Open Microsoft Excel, and click the File menu.
- Select Options, and in the list of options on the left, click Trust Center.
- Click the Trust Center Settings button on the right.
- In the new window that opens, click Macro settings on the left.
- On the right, select the fourth option in the list ("Enable"), and check the checkbox ("Trust"). The exact wording of these options will vary a little based on one's version of Office.
This allows macros to run automatically when Excel is opened, which prevents several errors and simplifies the process of opening Report Writer Excel workbooks.
Disabling OneDrive Office Sync
If your PC has OneDrive installed, turning off the Office Sync option in OneDrive can prevent some incompatibilities with Report Writer Excel files (see N1 & File Hosting Services for details).
- Right-click the OneDrive icon in your system tray (the lower right corner of the screen). It should look like a small cloud. If you don't see it right away, it might be among the hidden icons, which can be viewed by clicking the upward-pointing arrow in that area. Then click Settings.
- In settings, click the Office tab.
- Un-check "Use Office applications to sync Office files that I open".
Ensuring Microsoft .NET 3.5 is installed
The software's automatic map generation functions require the Microsoft .NET 3.5 framework to be installed. Depending on how your copy of Windows is set up, it may already be ready. Here's how to confirm that, and install it if it's not present:
- Click the Start menu in the lower left corner of the screen (or left middle on some Windows 11 machines).
- Type the word features
- The Turn Windows features on or off control panel should appear. Click on it.
- Make sure that the checkbox for ".NET Framework 3.5" is checked. If it is, you are all set. If it is not, click the checkbox next to it, then click OK. Windows will offer to download and install the framework for you. Allow it to do so, and the framework should be installed automatically. If any errors arise in the installation, you may need to confer with IT on your end to confirm you have the necessary permissions and that there are not any issues with your copy of Windows.
2. Open the Installer
3. Begin the Installation
Click the Next button to begin the installation.
4. Accept the License Agreement
The License Agreement screen will appear.
Select I accept the agreement and then click Next to proceed.
5. Install MySQL ODBC ComponentsThe PART ONE OF MYSQL INSTALLATION: ODBC Components window will open.
Click Next and proceed through the following installation steps, accepting the license agreement and selecting a Typical installation.
Return to the Part One of MYSQL Installation ODBC Components window (which will have remained open, but in the background, during the installation of the MySQL ODBC Components).
The MySQL ODBC Components have been installed. Click Next to proceed.
6. Install the MySQL .NET Components
The PART TWO OF MYSQL INSTALLATION: NET Components screen will load.
Click the 2. Install MySQL NET Components button in the middle of the window. Note: If the components are already installed, a pop-up message will notify you and allow you to skip the MySQL NET Components installation.
The Welcome to the MySQL Connector Net Setup Wizard window will open.
Click Next and proceed through the following steps, selecting a Typical setup type.
Once the MySQL NET Components have been installed, the Completed the MySQL Connector Net Setup Wizard screen will appear.
Click Finish to complete the MySQL Connector Net installation. The window will close.
7. Setup Narrative1
Return to the Part Two of MYSQL Installation ODBC Components window (which will have remained open, but in the background, during the installation of the MySQL ODBC Components).
The MySQL NET Components have been installed. Click Next to proceed.
The Information screen will load.
The Select Destination Location screen will load.
IMPORTANT: Installing Narrative1 anywhere other than the default directory will cause significant errors when using the software.
The Select Start Menu Folder screen will load.
Select where to place the Narrative1 shortcut. Click Browse to change the location. Then click Next to proceed.
The Ready to Install screen will load.
The Completing the Narrative1 Setup Wizard screen will load.
Click Finish to close the window.
8. Enter Your User Credentials
The Enter Credentials window will open.
A new window will open and prompt you to enter your user credentials, including Database, Username, and Password. These can be found in the welcome email you received when you first joined Narrative1.
Click Save after entering in your user credentials.
9. Run the Updater
Upon saving your user credentials, the N1 Updater will open. If MS Word or MS Excel are open, close them, then click GO in the upper right-hand corner of the window to update your Narrative1 software to the current version.
You may now close the N1 Updater. You will find a shortcut to Narrative1 Start on your desktop.